Failed to start mapd_server

Mapd crashed when I tried to run tpch. Then I cannot run mapdql , the error message was :

bin/mapdql -p HyperInteractive
Thrift: Fri May 18 16:46:19 2018 TSocket::open() connect() <Host: localhost Port: 9091>Connection refused
Thrift: Fri May 18 16:46:19 2018 TSocket::open() connect() <Host: localhost Port: 9091>Connection refused
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘apache::thrift::transport::TTransportException’
what(): connect() failed: Connection refused

After that , I reinstalled thrift ,and init mapdql , it still cannot work.
I found it was mapd_server crashed. When I run “systemctl status mapd_server” I got the following info:

May 17 15:07:32 kiwi systemd[1]: mapd_server.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 17 15:07:32 kiwi systemd[1]: mapd_server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
May 17 15:07:32 kiwi systemd[1]: mapd_server.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
May 17 15:07:33 kiwi systemd[1]: Stopped MapD database server.
May 17 15:07:33 kiwi systemd[1]: mapd_server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
May 17 15:07:33 kiwi systemd[1]: Failed to start MapD database server.

How could I repair this?
thx

@linda can you please provide the mapd logs? They are located in the mapd_log directory.

Based on your report, I’m pretty sure you’ve already found Starting and Stopping MapD Core Services in our documentation, but just in case you haven’t, additional troubleshooting suggestions are there.

Hi ,

Thank you for your reply.Unfortunately,when I tired to reinstall mapd, I slipped and deleted the entire file.Before the system crashed, I was trying to run tpch on mapd, but failed on the 2.sql.

Now my trouble is I don’t know how to add primary key and foreign key. I assume that it was because I forgot to add primary key and tried to join the table. I have read the entire documentation, but I failed to find how to.

Thank you very much!

there isnt primary or foreign keys on mapd; you have to use datatypes compatible with joins (so integers, dictionary encoded strings etc.) and join tables.

if you are using multiple GPUs, for performance reasons you can use sharding on large tables

https://www.mapd.com/docs/latest/mapd-core-guide/tables/#create-table

take a look to sharding section of create table docs

@Linda was the answer provided by @aznable helpful?

hi,
thanks for your reply very much. I have solved my problem.