Manually Disable Automatic Binning in Dimensions

Hello,
I am testing the community edition of MAPD Immerse.
I have uploaded a csv file to a new dashboard.
The csv file is a time series for one day in 5 minute increments.
I am trying out the line graph feature.
Two questions.
I want to show the data without binning the times in the X-Axis dimension. The idea is to show all the data as it comes without summarizing it.
Second Question.
I want to be able to refresh the data to get the updated data from the csv file.

How to i accomplish these two items. Thank you.
-Nars

Hi,

it sounds like you don’t want a line chart if you don’t want any summarization (bin aggregation) of the time data. Do you actually want to produce a scatterplot of all the individual points?

Please clarify question 2. MapD does not currently support UPDATE operations yet, on loaded data. You can add more records to an existing DB and immerse will just show the new data next time you refresh the dashboard.

regards

That is correct. I dont want any summarization. A scatter plot doesnt allow me to have time on the x-axis atleast it wont let me have that option… How do i accomplish what i am trying to do… which is… Time on the X-Axis ( 5 minute intervals) and Value on the Y-Axis. I dont want any aggregation.

Question 2.
I have a CSV file that updates with new data every five minutes. I would like to have the dashboard update itself with the new information from the CSV file as the CSV file gets updated.

Hi,

I would recommend you use a custom measure for your X-Axis which will convert your timestamp into epoch - some reasonable offset \ 5 minute interval so that your first 5 minute interval returns 1 your next 5 minute interval will return 2 etc…

Q2 Assuming it is a new csv file very 5 minutes, you would just run a COPY FROM into your existing table with the new csv file. The ability to automtically update a dash board is an enterprise only feature (coming soon), so you will have to run a dashboard refresh to see your new data each 5 minutes, on open source or community edition.

regards

Just to clarify on the custom field, choose “Custom Measure” from the variable dropdown and then write something like “extract(epoch from timestamp_variable_name)”.