MapD Tweetmap demo

I am interested in learning about how MapD generates top hashtags for a particular spatio-temporal query.

As I understand, MapD Core will retrieve all tweets inside a spatio-temporal region and generate top hashtags from the results. Is everything done on GPU?

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in MapD.

Yes the top hashtags query all runs on GPU. It filters the set of hashtags down by the spatio-temporal contraints and then does a count group by on the unnest hash tags,

hashtags are stored as an array of strings.

An example query looks like this:

SELECT UNNEST(hashtags) as key0,COUNT(*) AS val FROM tweets_new WHERE (goog_x >= -20037508.33999941 AND goog_x < 20037508.33999947) AND (goog_y >= -19362086.710562475 AND goog_y < 19362086.71052295) GROUP BY key0 ORDER BY val DESC LIMIT 227

regards

Very interesting! Thank you for your response. So as I understand, hashtags column in tweets_new table is encoded as TEXT DICT?

Hi

It is an array of text dict

the table definition is

CREATE TABLE tweets_new (
tweet_id TEXT ENCODING NONE,
tweet_time TIMESTAMP ENCODING FIXED(32),
lat FLOAT,
lon FLOAT,
sender_id BIGINT,
sender_name TEXT ENCODING DICT(32),
location TEXT ENCODING DICT(32),
source TEXT ENCODING DICT(16),
reply_to_user_id BIGINT,
reply_to_tweet_id BIGINT,
lang TEXT ENCODING DICT(8),
followers INTEGER,
followees INTEGER,
tweet_count INTEGER,
join_time TIMESTAMP ENCODING FIXED(32),
tweet_text TEXT ENCODING NONE,
country TEXT ENCODING DICT(8),
admin1 TEXT ENCODING DICT(32),
admin2 TEXT ENCODING DICT(16),
place_name TEXT ENCODING DICT(32),
state_abbr TEXT ENCODING DICT(8),
county_state TEXT ENCODING DICT(16),
origin TEXT ENCODING DICT(8),
hashtags TEXT[] ENCODING DICT(32),
tweet_tokens TEXT[] ENCODING DICT(32),
goog_x FLOAT,
goog_y FLOAT,
is_exact BOOLEAN)

regards

Thank you so much for that information! I plan to use MapD Core to create something similar to Tweetmap, and this would help me a lot!

Great,

Hope to see it in action soon.

One note: You do not need to use mercator projection (goog_x, goog_y) anymore you can use lat an lon directly

There is a project underway to bring the full tweetmap app up to date and share it as a sample of a custom built app on MapD framework but it may be too late for you, if you are already underway.

regards

Thank you for this information! Actually I am working on the backend right now, so hopefully I will be able to reuse part of the frontend.

Do Arrays work in the current release?

I only ask because I do not see them mentioned in the documentation (but boy, am I glad to see them)

Hey acmeguy,
MapD Core does have basic support for arrays, currently for non-distributed architectures only. For e.g.

select unnest(hashtags),count(*) from tweets group by unnest(hashtags) limit 50

Further documentation here.

Best,
Ed

Can confirm. I was able to create a simple tweets table with tweet_text TEXT[] ENCODING DICT(32) and do aggregation based on that field.