String lower case in mapd

is there any way to convert a string to lower case?
i also want to know how to extract month,day,date form a date format

Hi @nagulan -

We currently have limited string processing support in MapD, due to how we use dictionary encoding to improve string access performance. So unfortunately, we don’t currently have a way to do make a string lowercase.

For the date functions, you can find all of the supported functions here under ‘Date/Time Function Support’:

https://www.mapd.com/docs/latest/5_dml.html

I suspect you are looking for the extract function.

thank you for your time
but by using extract command we can extract only one value that is either month or year form date if i use this i want to concat both month and year in string format. i dont how to concat too

i want to both year and month from date in string format can you help me

Hi @nagulan,

I’ll let others try to answer your question directly but wanted to note that we have much more extensive string functionality planned, even with dictionary encoded strings.

Regards

i have read about encoded string but i cant understand
what is functionality of encoded string
can you explain me

mapd stores the distincts values of strings dictionary encoded on system ram substituting the column’s values with an integer.

This helps in several ways; the access on GPU/CPU memory is aligned, memory and bandwidth foorprint is greatly reduced (you can see it as a compression) and also helps GPU processing too, because GPUs like to deal with numbers than other types.

Simple scenario with a flat table

you have a table of 1B of records with a columns contaning a column contaning names of towns

Alameda
Alameda
Alameda
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
Alameda
Los Angeles
Alameda
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Francisco
etc. etc.

the average length is more or less of 9 bytes so the memory/storage footprint of this column would be 85GB, but using a dictionary encoding of 16 bits it’s reduced to 19GB because the column would look like this
etc.

this translates on more performance (and less hardware costs)

@aznable
thank you fro your time
now i understood

is there any way to use to_char() function in mapd
if so how to use it

there is a CAST funtion but AFAIK it limited to expressions

https://www.mapd.com/docs/latest/5_dml.html

CAST(expr AS type) CAST(1.25 AS FLOAT) Converts an expression to another data type