Use of the JDBC Driver in a connection pool

Does anyone have any working examples of using the JDBC driver in a connection pool? I’m trying to connect to MapD in a simple Spring app using the Hikari connection pool. When I attempt to run a query via the connection pool, I see the pool start up…

2017-10-15 16:32:09.042  INFO 5 --- [tp1357563986-11] com.zaxxer.hikari.HikariDataSource       : MapD - Starting...
Received 1
2017-10-15 16:32:09.252  INFO 5 --- [tp1357563986-11] com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.PoolBase          : MapD - Driver does not support get/set network timeout for connections. (Not supported yet, line:481 class:com.mapd.jdbc.MapDConnection method:getNetworkTimeout)
Received 2
2017-10-15 16:32:09.305  INFO 5 --- [tp1357563986-11] com.zaxxer.hikari.HikariDataSource       : MapD - Start completed.
Received 1
Received 1
Received 1
Received 1
Received 1
Received 1
Received 1

…and it just hangs there. Eventually after 15 minutes (!) the query is run and the request returns. From then on, queries work immediately every time. Very weird.

When I take a thread dump of the server when it’s in this hung state, I see this thread in RUNNABLE:

2017-10-15 03:05:28
Full thread dump OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.131-b11 mixed mode):

"MapD connection adder" #26 daemon prio=5 os_prio=0 tid=0x000055a1b3277000 nid=0x3f runnable [0x00007fe9fa4bb000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:171)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:286)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345)
        - locked <0x00000000f8211538> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:127)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:86)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readAll(TBinaryProtocol.java:424)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readI32(TBinaryProtocol.java:321)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(TBinaryProtocol.java:225)
        at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:77)
        at com.mapd.thrift.server.MapD$Client.recv_connect(MapD.java:255)
        at com.mapd.thrift.server.MapD$Client.connect(MapD.java:240)
        at com.mapd.jdbc.MapDConnection.<init>(MapDConnection.java:104)
        at com.mapd.jdbc.MapDDriver.connect(MapDDriver.java:52)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource.getConnection(DriverDataSource.java:112)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource.getConnection(DriverDataSource.java:118)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.PoolBase.newConnection(PoolBase.java:376)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.PoolBase.newPoolEntry(PoolBase.java:205)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool.createPoolEntry(HikariPool.java:448)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool.access$200(HikariPool.java:72)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool$PoolEntryCreator.call(HikariPool.java:635)
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool$PoolEntryCreator.call(HikariPool.java:621)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Seems like it’s stuck reading from the server in the Thrift codepath. But I don’t have the Thrift source to see what exactly it’s doing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
BP

Hi,

MapD by default only has a small number of connections available (This about the change in the next release). I suspect in your case the connections in the connection pool are exhausting the available actual connections.

Please see Unable to connect after a few hours for additional discussion.

regards

Yup, that seems to be what it was. The pool had a default size of 10. Tailing the MapD logs, after the 8th connection was established is when it started hanging. Setting the pool size to a size smaller than 8 makes the problem go away. Thanks!

Do you have an ETA on the MapD release that fixes this constraint? Also, what will be the maximum number of connections a MapD instance will be able to handle after this release?

Thanks again.
BP

Hi,

Currently if you are not doing backend rendering you can set it up to whatever number you want.

The current constraint is only backend render related.

regards

Got it. Thanks again.