Using table expressions in more complex queries

I’m trying to use table expressions, eventually using them in joins but seem to be hitting limits. The following code snippets show the issue:

CREATE TABLE test (ts TIMESTAMP NOT NULL)

This is fine:

SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 start_time FROM test GROUP BY start_time;

As is:

SELECT * FROM (SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 start_time FROM test GROUP BY start_time);

However, the following fails:

WITH s AS (SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 start_time FROM test GROUP BY start_time) SELECT * FROM s

Exception: Validate failed: From line 3, column 10 to line 3, column 21: Column 'start_time' not found in any table

Similarly, I get the same error if I try to use the select expression in a join.

I can start to work round it by using:

WITH s AS (SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 FROM test GROUP BY ((EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts / 60) * 60)) SELECT EXPR$0 FROM s;

but is there a simpler/better way?

Thanks,

Julian

Hi,

I can reproduce your issue with WITH not sure what is going on there will need to investigate.

As a work around you can use a view

create view eview as SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 START_TIME FROM test GROUP BY START_TIME;

and query like

select start_time from eview;

hope this helps

regards

Issue raised here: https://github.com/mapd/mapd-core/issues/42

Hi

You can do

WITH s AS (SELECT (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60 start_time FROM test GROUP BY (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM ts) / 60) * 60) SELECT * FROM s;

Its seems the calcite process is losing its way when an alias is used in the group_by

regards

Hi,

A fix for this has been applied to mapd-core. If you are building from source you can use this now.

It will be in the next release of MapD.

regards