Writing from Databricks to MapD Community (AWS)

Hi there, sorry for the newbie question! I’m trying to write a table from Databricks to MapD. I’m using MapD’s prebuilt platform (https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B071H71L2Y?qid=1504819898310&sr=0-2&ref_=srh_res_product_title)

I’ve so far been uploading CSVs, but was hoping I could get my ETL to write directly to MapD’s AWS cluster. Is that possible? Are there any examples on how to set that up?

Thanks!!

%python
uncomp_venues.write.format(“jdbc”).option(“url”, “jdbc:mapd:localhost:8443:mapd:http”).option(“driver”,
“com.mapd.jdbc.mapDDriver”).option(“dbtable”, “venues”).option(“user”, “mapd”).option(“password”, “i-
OBFUSCATED”).mode(“overwrite”).save()

I tried the above code but got this error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mapd.jdbc.mapDDriver

Hi,

i edited your post to obfuscate your password.

Do you have the jdbc driver on the class path, normally you would see that error if it is missing

regards

Thanks!

Honestly, I’m not sure what that means :flushed:

Hi,

As far as the obfuscation goes: You had your real password in the text of the post. I just removed it.

Classpath issue: You need to make sure the jar (available in the delivered bin directory) mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar is in the classpath of your job.

regards

We love newbie questions! --pd :slight_smile:

Thank you so much guys. I added this line to my databricks workbook (and ran it) but still got the same error:

%python
spark.extraClassPath= ‘com.mapd.jdbc.mapDDriver’

I then added a Library with file “mapdjdbc_1_0_SNAPSHOT_jar_with_dependencies.jar”, and said for it to auto attach to all clusters, but that still didn’t work.

Any ideas? I feel like I’m missing something simple.

Thank you for hiding my password :flushed:

Maybe I shouldn’t be bothering you guys and should instead hit up the Databricks forums? I would just need to ask about adding a Jar to the classpath, correct?

Hi,

spark.extraClassPath= ‘com.mapd.jdbc.mapDDriver’

Should probably be something like

spark.extraClassPath= ‘<MapDHome>/bin/mapdjdbc_1_0_SNAPSHOT_jar_with_dependencies.jar'

regards

ClassNotFoundException for JDBC driver

Thank you for reply.

I tried running the spark code using three ways (mentioned below) but still getting same error.

./bin/spark-submit --class Hive2Mapd hive_2.11-2.0.jar --conf “spark.driver.extraClassPath=XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar”

./bin/spark-submit --jars XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
–driver-class-path XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
–conf spark.executor.extraClassPath=XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
–class Hive2Mapd XXX/MapD/aster2hive_2.11-2.0.jar

./bin/spark-submit
–driver-class-path XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
–conf spark.executor.extraClassPath=XXX/mapdjdbc-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
–class XXX/aster2hive_2.11-2.0.jar

Please advice.

Hi

please see response to same question but with more detail here ClassNotFoundException for JDBC driver

regards